On 22 November 2011 20:05, Chris Dagdigian <d...@sonsorol.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm hands-on with a shiny new cluster running Univa's 8.0.1 release and
> am having some issues running jobs as a non-root user via an account
> that lives in Active Directory.
>
> The cluster is the standard sort of RHEL 5.7 based system but we are
> using Centrify and in particular the Centrify
> NIS-gateway-to-ActiveDirectory to service the cluster nodes without
> having to license centrify on all nodes in the cluster.
>
> The user errors I see are familiar ones:
>
>  "can't get password entry for user "x". Either user does not exist or
> NIS error!"
>
> The confusing thing is that I can SSH into compute nodes as the same
> user and both password logins and passwordless SSH work perfectly. It's
> only when running under SGE that the jobs fail.
>
> If I had to guess I'd wonder first if SSHD was using Linux /etc/pam.d/
> in a way that "works" while SGE is accessing PAM in some way that we
> have not configured properly yet. That's only a guess though.
>
> Does anyone have examples of SGE running via NIS authentication or via
> Centrify? Any examples of PAM configuration that were needed to get NIS
> users recognized under SGE?
As others have pointed out community support for closed source
versions is necessarily limited but nothing stops us from having a go.
 As Univa and Oracle diverge from the open source versions this will
become harder though.

We have a setup where the user accounts are made available via NIS (ie
nsswitch.conf points to NIS) with a "*" in the password field.  We
don't authenticate that way.  On our worker nodes we use ssh host
based auth (root has a local password) on our login nodes we use
pam_ldap.  This config is largely historical but allows us to use the
college's central authentication services on the login nodes without
having to import a lot of other stuff that we don't need.  We didn't
do anything special as far as setup was concerned.  This is with SGE
6.2u3.

I'd try running a getent command on the nodes to check that NIS is
propogating all the way through to the name service.  I think SGE just
checks the account is present and not locked in some way.

Do you perhaps have enforce_user set to yes in your sge_conf without
having defined users?

William