From: Ian Huynh [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:17 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org; Maxim Vexler
Subject: RE: [EMAIL PROTECTED] log rotation for apache 2.0.54 on w2k3 server
?

would pipe logging help you then?

the documentation for pipe logging is just below the rotation section

Piped Logs
Apache httpd is capable of writing error and access log files through a
pipe to another process, rather than directly to a file. This capability
dramatically increases the flexibility of logging, without adding code
to the main server. In order to write logs to a pipe, simply replace the
filename with the pipe character "|", followed by the name of the
executable which should accept log entries on its standard input. Apache
will start the piped-log process when the server starts, and will
restart it if it crashes while the server is running. (This last feature
is why we can refer to this technique as "reliable piped logging".)

Piped log processes are spawned by the parent Apache httpd process, and
inherit the userid of that process. This means that piped log programs
usually run as root. It is therefore very important to keep the programs
simple and secure.

One important use of piped logs is to allow log rotation without having
to restart the server. The Apache HTTP Server includes a simple program
called rotatelogs for this purpose. For example, to rotate the logs
every 24 hours, you can use:

CustomLog "|/usr/local/apache/bin/rotatelogs /var/log/access_log 86400"
common

Notice that quotes are used to enclose the entire command that will be
called for the pipe. Although these examples are for the access log, the
same technique can be used for the error log.

A similar but much more flexible log rotation program called cronolog is
available at an external site.

As with conditional logging, piped logs are a very powerful tool, but
they should not be used where a simpler solution like off-line
post-processing is available.