I just setup awstats a few weeks ago and this setting works for me in the
<VirtualHost>:

        Alias /awstatsclasses "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/classes/"
        Alias /awstatscss "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/css/"
        Alias /icon "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/icon/"
        ScriptAlias /awstats/ "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin/"
        #
        # This is to permit URL access to scripts/files in AWStats directory.
        #
        <Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot">
        Options None
        AllowOverride None
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
        </Directory>

        <Directory "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/cgi-bin">
        AuthUserFile "/usr/local/awstats/wwwroot/mypasswordfile"
        AuthName "Awstats"
        AuthType Basic
        <Limit GET POST>
                require valid-user