Followed the instructions from
http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies and finally ended up
with the new configuration below (this snippet added to the end of the
original httpd.conf). However still it doesn't work. Is there any way to
debug this code to see what the problem is?

LoadFile    /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2
LoadModule  proxy_html_module    modules/mod_proxy_html.so

ProxyRequests Off

ProxyPass /test/ http://192.168.231.1/
ProxyHTMLURLMap http://192.168.231.1 /test

<Location /test/>