On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 8:23 AM, André Warnier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In that respect, yes you should.  The client should not have to know on
> which platform the server is running, and send a fundamentally different URL
> depending.

You don't have to know the platform. You have to know the filename
byte-by-byte (typically by following a proper link).

> I did the following experiment : on a Linux Debian Apache 2.2.4 server, I
> copied the file "joaquín.gif" in the document root.

I don't have too much experience here, but was the filename morphed
into some other codeset during the copy (mount option, editor, etc)?

> In any case, that the Windows incarnation of Apache 2.x would return a 403
> code (instead of the less inappropriate 404) is still another issue.
> The URL requested is not illegal, nor is this document submitted to any kind
> of permission or authorization.

IMO The 403 is returned in a path where errors imply a high likelyhood
of someone actively trying to fool the server -- I don't think a 403
is too inappropriate here.

I don't know if any other status code would be appealing enough to
motivate trapping this error early (i.e. don't bother trying to map to
a file if there's invalid utf-8 somewhere in the URL on windows).

--
Eric Covener
[EMAIL PROTECTED]