Eric Covener wrote:
[...]

IMO The 403 is returned in a path where errors imply a high likelyhood
of someone actively trying to fool the server -- I don't think a 403
is too inappropriate here.

First, no, there was no tomfoolery implicated in copying the file. Just take an existing Apache logo image file and copy it from the Unix command-line. Or copy the file to the system from a Windows PC using any utility like FTP or SCP.

On the system, the result of an "ls" of that file looks like this :
-rw-r--r--  1 root     root   2326 2004-11-20 21:16 joaquín.gif

with the locale of that user being
LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-15

Next, nothing personal implied, but what you are saying above is a singularly mono-cultural point of view. Why would a path composed entirely of printable characters of the latin iso-8859-1 alphabet imply a high likelihood of someone trying to fool the server ?

So if I try to allow Apache to serve documents from my home directory /home/andré/public_html, I should trigger 403 errors ?