Eric Covener wrote:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 5:00 AM, #V[Á]lentín <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In any case, thanks for bringing this problem up.  I have been using
Apache for a very long time, and I am also not an native English-speaker.  I
can't imagine that I have not encountered the same issue before, so I can
only imagine that this logic is relatively new in Apache under Windows.

Seems to be the same behavior in 2.0, I hadn't seen anyone post the
error log entry generated for these:

(22)Invalid argument: Cannot map GET /%DE HTTP/1.1 to file

IMO this should be a decent hint to keep someone from looking at
permissions or authorization.  Net, you have to carefully link to your
non US-ASCII content on all platforms, you can't just type something
semantically equivalent in your client.

In that respect, yes you should. The client should not have to know on which platform the server is running, and send a fundamentally different URL depending.

I did the following experiment : on a Linux Debian Apache 2.2.4 server, I copied the file "joaquín.gif" in the document root. Then, with the same workstation and the same Firefox browser as before, I requested "http://hostname/joaquín.gif";.
I get the document without problem.
The Apache access log has this to say :
192.168.245.253 - - [25/Sep/2008:14:12:43 +0200] "GET /joaqu%EDn.gif HTTP/1.1" 200 2326 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.15) Gecko/20080623 Firefox/2.0.0.15"

In any case, that the Windows incarnation of Apache 2.x would return a 403 code (instead of the less inappropriate 404) is still another issue. The URL requested is not illegal, nor is this document submitted to any kind of permission or authorization.