From: "Mohammed obaidan" <blue4...@gmail.com>
> Apache is not for web server admins. what about developers? What about home
> servers? What about users that needs a certain web application on their
> intranet? do they need to be web server admins to use Apache? certainly not.

I am not an Apache admin, but a developer that just needs Apache, or other web
servers to serve the programs I make, so I am in the target audience.

> Most of the posts here suggests that people here are Apache admins and they
> think that such a tool is useless because they can use a text editor to
> configure Apache because they are Apache admins.How about if you are not an
> Apache admin? I do not think you are going to hack a text file for adding a
> virtual host or an alias without a certain tool that can display information
> about such directives and validate that for you.

Well, I always edit the httpd.conf with a text editor, and I even read some
books for learning how to do this.

> 1. This tool in its final form will do everything you can do with a text
> editor to configure Apache. However it will not be a replacement for a the
> text editor because the tool will handle Apache and the modules that comes
> with it.

This means that it won't do everything an editor does. A developer usually
doesn't need to run CGI scripts these days, but run the programs with fastcgi,
or mod_perl, mod_php or other modules.
If this tool won't support the modules like mod_perl, mod_rewrite, mod_python,
mod_php, and a few other helpful modules that can be used with Apache, it won't
be very useful.
A developer that needs just the features which can be used with the default
installation of Apache can do those settings with a few copy/paste
operations... he won't need to learn too much to do those settings.
On the other hand, one that needs to do more complicated settings, might be
helped by this tool if it would be able to handle them.

Octavian