André Warnier wrote:
> Dondi Williams wrote:
>> I am running Apache 2.2.9 on a Windows Vista PC and have unique UIDs
>> for my
>> family members. I want each family member to have their own unique
>> home page
>> when they login to the PC. How can I enable this within Apache? I also
>> have
>> PHP 5.2.6 operational.
>
> Ok, I'll bite, but just a little bit.
>
> What you are asking, could become technically very complex, and I am not
> sure if the circumstances really justify such work.
>
> I think first, you have to imagine the following situation, because that
> is, technically, how it is :
> imagine that your Apache server does not run on the Windows XP PC where
> you login (in Windows) as a user, but that this Apache server runs on a
> separate machine connected to your PC through the network.
>
> When you login to your PC as a user, Apache does not know that.
> Then you call up Internet Explorer, and Apache still does not know that.
> Then in IE, you enter the URL of the Apache server (in this case,
> probably just "http://localhost";) and IE sends a HTTP request to the
> server "localhost", for the page "/", through a TCP/IP link, using the
> HTTP protocol. It just happens that this "localhost" is in your case the
> same machine, but it could just as well be another machine on the other
> side of the world.

Basic http authentication would require a username and password via the
.htaccess and .htpassword files. that would address the apache knowing
which user problem.

> When Apache gets this request, via TCP/IP, it gets exactly these 2 lines :
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost
>
> That's it.
> In other words, Apache does not get any information as to who is
> logged-in on the machine that runs this browser that sent this request.
> (And that's good, because otherwise, any website in the world to which
> you connect via IE, would get your Windows login userid).
>
> In order for Apache to get additional information indicating "who" sent
> this request, you would have to have in place some authentication
> scheme, at the IE level and at the Apache level, that forces IE to send
> a user-id to Apache, at the same time as the request.  This might be
> possible, but it is complicated at the best of times, and in this case
> would be /very/ complicated.
>
> So, what I suggest instead in this :
>
> As far as I know, when you set up different user accounts under Windows
> XP, Windows keeps a separate "profile" per user.  Among the information
> stored in that per-user profile, is probably each user's "preferences"
> in IE, among which the "preferred start page" of each user.
> Why don't you then set up different html pages in Apache (one for each
> user), and then set up, for each user in IE, this page as their
> preferred homepage ?
>
> In other words, when userA logs in and calls up IE, IE will
> automatically load the URL "http://localhost/homepages/userA.html";.
> And when userB logs in, IE will automatically call up the page
> "http://localhost/homepages/userB.html";.

Serving a different page based on which username authenticated in basic
authentication also provides this functionality.

basic authentication is pretty much useless if security is a concern,
but it is an effective identifier for the OP's purposes, if your reading
of the post is correct.

Now, if the O.P. wants apache as a network login / file server,
completely different answer needed.

ldap?
*sql?

which of the multiple authentication schemes will best suit the needs?

It's a toss-up as to which login model he meant.