Brian Mearns wrote:

This EXACTLY what I need....

I believe he wanted something like "Apache should return the appropriate
homepage, on the base of the UID the user used to login on the PC".
I don't really think we're talking about LDAP or SQL here..

There is no LDAP or SQL involved. The reason I mentioned PHP is in case
there was a way to attack the problem through a PHP script. I also have
MySQL installed and operational.

My family members and I use the same PC in our study (when not on their
iMacs and laptops). This is primarily the system I use so I have created
several web pages with links to everything I use or don't want to have to
remember and add bookmarks for. Now when one of the family members login
with their Windows ID and call up FireFox (don't use and can't stand IE) I
would like for there to be a way to have their own "home" page on this
system.

Easy enough. In firefox, click on Tools > Options... then go to the
Main tab, and in the Startup from, choose "show my homepage" from the
"When Firefox starts" pulldown. Then specify a different homepage for
each user.

Ok, I know that's not what you're looking for and I'm mostly just
being a smart ass...but why not take this very simple approach instead
of trying to get Apache to understand the convoluted Windows Vista
user id system?

There are plenty of free identd servers that you can install on Windows. mod_ident can be used to log the connecting user, but I'm not sure if you could access the connecting user data from the php script afterwards? Maybe it's in the environment variables somewhere?

There was a mod_access_identd for Apache 1.3, but I haven't been able to find the equivalent for later versions of Apache. Could have just accessed the HTTP_USER environment variable in that scenario.

--
Mike Cardwell
(https://secure.grepular.com/) (http://perlcv.com/)