Brian,

Based on this comment "...why not take this very simple approach instead
of trying to get Apache to understand the convoluted Windows Vista
user id system?"

How would I do the same thing on a Linux system? I am dual booting the same
system with SuSE 11.1 with Apache, PHP, MySQL, etc...

I would rather just get rid of M$ all together and if this is easier in
Linux then I have another small reason to rid myself of M$. My son would
love to get rid of M$ as he loves his iMac, oh and he is 9 and refuses to us
the M$ PC except when he "has" to.