Thanks for the link...I have looked through it before, and I just tried what
it says, and it works ( I can just put my custom message within the
httpd.conf file against the ErrorDocument 404 directive, and it will display
this message when the page cannot be found.).That's exactly the
functionality that I want. But I was thinking if I could do it using the
Apache rewrite module instead. My ultimate objective is to be able to write
a rewrite module that would be able to be loaded by someone. And that module
would do all of the above... that is be able to redirect a failing request (
based on the response as above) to a custom error page. All the person would
then have to do is to load the module, which would have the rewrite engine
turned on.. and boom, it would work.