Ok.. here's the thing:

I am having a issue, where the following happens: I am using IBM http server
as my front end server, and WebSphere as my application server.

I am trying to configure httpserver config file (httpd.conf) to display a
certain page when my application
server is down - but that is not working. ( that is I have my http server
running, but the actual app server is stopped). I tried setting the
errorDocument directive within the httpd.conf file of the HTTP server to
display some custom string text in case of 500, 501, 502 or 503 errors, but
it does not show any of the error messages. Instead, when I try to hit a
service on the app server, it shows something as follows:

Failed to Connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9080.

Though the site seems valid, the browser was unable to establish a
connection.

    * Could the site be temporarily unavailable? Try again later.
    * Are you unable to browse other sites?  Check the computer's network
connection.
    * Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy?
Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.

I want the custom error message that I put in the httpd.conf to show when a
user tries to hit the service on the appserver and the application server is
down.

There is a plugins.xml file that comes with the Websphere install that links
the app server and the http server, so I am expecting that the 500 or so
error should be getting communicated to the http server which should then be
able to show the  custom error message. I am not sure why that is not
happening?