Thanks for the response... I looked through my httpd.conf file and found
that the WebSpherePluginConfig was pointing to the wrong plugin directory (
the person who had originally installed WAS had forgotten to update the file
to point it to the right directory). I regenerated and propagated the
plugin, and now it shows the correct error page, when the app server is
down. Now I get back to my main problem which I originally had... So now, my
IBM HTTP Server is running, my WebSphere application server is running, but
I take down one of the services in the app server. When I try to hit the
service from the url, it does not return my custom error message... instead
returns something like:

SRVE0255E: A WebGroup/Virtual Host to handle /service1 has not been defined.

SRVE0255E: A WebGroup/Virtual Host to handle localhost:80 has not been
defined.

IBM WebSphere Application Server

( where service1 is the service that I take down.)

I looked at the http status codes returned through the live http headers and
it seems like it returns 404 Not Found...

But then I am not sure why it is not redirecting it to my custom error page,
because I already have an errordocument directive for 404 error in my
httpd.conf file.

  When I do something like:   http://localhost/chintan.html, it  shows the
custom error page for 404 that I defined.. ( since such a page does not
exist.), but
 when I do something like: http://localhost/myservice, where my service is a
service on the app server that I have taken down, it shows the above message
instead of my custom error page.

Not sure why it does this.