Hello,

The information on setting directory listing is here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/misc/FAQ.html#indexes

Also, if you are using some prepackaged linux distro like debian or
ubuntu, you should ask in the appropriate forums for those packages.
The reason is, that these preconfigured installations often make
(unexpected) assumptions about configuration and put configuration
options in nonstandard places.  So, it sometimes happens that what you
set in one place, they reset somewhere else.

when you do `sudo apt-get install apache2', you get what the linux
packagers think you should have, not what Apache developers packaged
up on their site.

Thanks.

mp