Hi Mark,

as fare as I know, php variables have $ sign on begin. So, if tmpl is
variable, row should like:

require 'modules/_shared/$tmpl/'.$tmpl.'/header.php';

you can very simple test it add this few rows before this require function:

echo "<pre>";
var_dum($tmpl);
var_dump(tmpl);
echo "</pre>";

if it is not variable or even in $tmpl is not any "default" string, well,
you have several options.

a) go trought code and find out what and why it is broken.
b) simply exchange .'tmpl'. with default so it will look:

require 'modules/_shared/tmpl/default/header.php';

c) ask developer of application for a help or recommendation what to do.

mh