On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:03 AM, Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 5:46 AM, Esmond Pitt <esmond.p...@bigpond.com>wrote:
>
>>  I've seen this question asked many times and I've never seen a
>> definitive answer to the actual question being asked. When were Windows
>> binaries discontinued from apache.org?
>>

> When the single person who prepared them stopped doing so...

With hats duly raised, and a deep bow to the volunteers of Apache, it is
remarkable that an entire platform can hinge on a single person! (But,
relax, see below -- there are several activate binary distributions for
windows that even includes 2.4.)

Tangentially:

I was going to wryly comment that it is no wonder that the web server share
of Apache httpd has been deeply cut over the last couple of years by MS IIS
http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2014/01/03/january-2014-web-server-survey.html
.

But then I noticed that this trend, as seen in the chart "Web server
developers: Market share of all sites", is not true for the following
charts of active and busiest sites, where Apache httpd share is falling,
but not dramatically, and not due to IIS, but to the rise of nginx and
other web servers.

Interesting -- does this this represent a recent push (perhaps due to MS's
cloud efforts) in IIS distributions for services that are just plain not
being used?

> There is a necessary lack of definitiveness surrounding the past, present,
> and future availability of binaries from apache.org because their
> possible presence is up to the whims of individual contributors.  By policy
> the group has never formally released binaries and is in no position to
> ensure their availability.  (No mechanisms exist to review, test, and
> approve them -- we can only formally release source).

Just for the record, it is probably worth pointing out that the docs
themselves list some popular windows binary packages:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/platform/windows.html

Erik.

--
Erik Pearson