On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 9:23 AM Richard
<lists-apa...@listmail.innovate.net> wrote:

> > Date: Monday, January 27, 2020 22:21:30 -0700
> > From: "@lbutlr" <krem...@kreme.com>
> >
> >> On 27 Jan 2020, at 19:27, Richard wrote:
> >>
> >> If you're trying to serve your content via http, which appears to
> >> be your goal, then to serve it out on different ports - without
> >> using the apache virtual host configuration - you'd need to have
> >> multiple instances of apache running. That's possible, but very
> >> ugly.
> >
> > Is this a change in recent versions? I recall using apache in the
> > past to server pages on port 80 and 8080 and 8081 all from the same
> > conf file.
> >
> > I mean, I am reasonably sure it was apache, though it was quite a
> > long time ago (1.3 days, probably)
>
> Yes, you can serve content on different ports, without benefit of
> virtual hosts, but can you serve different content - i.e., have
> different document roots? It's very possible that my memory is foggy
> on this.  [I do find things like :8080 to be very confusing to users
> so avoid that approach.]

Thank you - - - - - I seem to have come full circle. In trying to install the
second application on my server I found that applicationb wanted exactly
that - - - - a different document root. This, to me at least, confusing journey
is a trying to solve exactly that.

How can I have different document roots for various applications on the
same server?

(Hopefully this is a 'better' question!)

TIA