what went wrong is the HUGE competition from google, financed by
advertising. everybody has learned that search  for information is free
(except stock market and a few others). the investment in the "good
idea" is large, because you will have to compete with google's 24/7
service.

i run a sparql server reliably on a small hardware for a few users - it
is very useful, runs easily and unless you have the "wide public" as
users, with little effort. a very simplistic systemd automatic start...

when you go for dbpedia as a service for everybody you are in a serious
project, not a demonstration. i would not know how to make a business
case for such a thing, therefore i do not see your manager asking for it
either. - if it is for limited database for a limited community, the
cost is likely much smaller than any comparable solution.

andrew

--
em.o.Univ.Prof. Dr. sc.techn. Dr. h.c. Andrew U. Frank
                                 +43 1 58801 12710 direct