On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 3:20 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallag...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-10-05 at 19:39 +0200, François Patte wrote:
> > > I'll probably have to go back to the Nvidia drivers anyway as the
> > > Nouveau one is noticeably worse in Steam, even at low settings.
> >
> > I don't know what Steam is....
>
> It's a commercial gaming platform which is supported on Linux. I'm not
> a big gamer but occasionally I indulge. Unfortunately this means using
> the Nvidia drivers, at least for the titles I've tried.
>
> > I had to revert to nouveau recently
> > because the nvidia driver (340-96) is unable to give a correct
> > configuration if I plug a beamer on the VGA plug of my laptop.
>
> My reason for switching to Nouveau originated in randomly not being
> able to resume from hibernation when using the Nvidia drivers
> (discussed on another thread). So it seems I can have either Steam or
> hibernation, but not both.

This sort of trade-off is all too common, occurs across distros, and usually
requires experimentation by each user to figure out what works for a
particular use case.   These days distros have converged to the point
that many bugs affect multiple distros,

In a small fraction of cases, the details show up in a mail list or forum.
In a small fraction of those cases, someone who really understands
the issue explains how to get to the root cause of the malfunctions.
Fedora users in particular should expect to run into problems and
should be prepared to invest some time digging into the problem
and documenting the findings.

Do you recognize your steam problem at
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Steam#Steam_runtime_issues?

--