On Fri, 2022-02-11 at 12:15 -0600, fed...@cwm030.com wrote:
> Hi Ya'll,
>
> I know that there are, to me, seems like A LOT of email clients for
> the
> linux world.
>
> And It's getting harder and harder for me to hop around and try new
> email clients out when they come out being a..........GET READY TO
> CRINGE..... POP3 user.
>
> Last week I tried TDE ( Trinity Desktop ) on Debian. and decided to
> give
> KMAIL a try... Big mistake... Importing my email into KMAIL caused
> the
> emails names to be changed from numbers ( because I used Claws
> before)
> to this weird string of letters and numbers. Therefore, I could not
> import my email back to CLAWS since I gave up and returned to Fedora
> and
> Gnome 3.
>
> I plan on staying with Fedora and Gnome 3.
>
> I thought about making the change to IMAP, but old habits die hard. I
> find myself when I set up or try a new email client, I wind up
> setting
> it up as POP3...
>
> So I am just curious if there is any POP users still out there
>
> And what are some pros and cons switching to IMAP?

I stopped using POP around 10 years ago. The biggest pro is that you
can keep your mail on a server and access it from multiple clients.
That includes organizing it in folders. You can't realistically do this
in POP. The only "con" is again that you're keeping your mail on a
server. However even that isn't a limitation as you can easily download
it for off-line access. Good IMAP clients will do this automatically if
you want.

> And what program do you use on Fedora for your email?

Evolution. I also use Gmail, but have my Gmail accounts set up for IMAP
access so I can see them in Evolution, or on the web client, or on my
phone app.

poc