Hello John,

On Sun, 13 Feb 2022 15:40:16 -0500 John Mellor <john.mel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2022-02-13 2:09 p.m., c. marlow wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Feb 2022 22:54:16 +0100
> > wwp <subscr...@free.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> Moreover, using IMAP will make
> >> you dependent of remote resource and you must be online, the use of
> >> IMAP accounts generate much more network traffic, that's a problem to
> >> me. I also experienced very slow or unreliable IMAP servers
> >> (orange.fr, the worst one ever?) and when it's slow or not reliable,
> >> having to push everything online (drafts, sent and their copy to Sent
> >> emails, ..) is just a pain in the *ss.
> > About the network point you made:
> >
> > I am on a satellite dish connection and we only get so much data a month
> > and then when we run out, we're lowered to 1 to 3 megs until our reset
> > day.
> >
> > But, a lot of people on the internet has told me that IMAP doesn't use a
> > lot of data. I don't believe it though.
>
> That's actually a good reason to use IMAP instead, as the normal behaviour is
> to download the headers and not the bodies. You only download the bodies on
> mails that you read, so unless you don't get any spam or if you actually read
> every single message that you get, your bandwidth usage will normally
> appreciably be lower with IMAP.

You make assumptions here that follow your use, and it's not at all
mine - I do read (thus, download) - read or filter by body contents -
nearly all emails I receive, and I receive a lot of spam that is
also filtered on client-side.

Of course, you were definitely right by explaining there are different
kinds of email uses. The OP would have to evaluate his own uses and see
if IMAP fits better them.

Also, writing/sending at lot of emails, using drafts, will increase
your network consumption, but that, also, depends on your own uses. A
slow network user will be sensitive to that.

Regards,

--
wwp
https://useplaintext.email/