On 13Feb2022 13:02, c. marlow <fed...@cwm030.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 11:11:15 +1100
>Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au> wrote:
>> I read my email with mutt (a terminal based mail reader). It can talk
>> directly to POP3 or IMAP if you want to leave your email upstream,
>> but I use it locally on my laptop.
>

>I've tried ALPINE before and I found it hard to use.
>
>But I kinda liked it though.
>
>I've always wanted to know, where does your POP email get stored if
>you're using a email client via the terminal?

Depends on the client. The client inherently has to download any email
it doesn't have, so there will be some local storage. But in principle
it can leave the email at the server.

POP3's not great for that - there's only one serverside mail folder, not
much state (I think you can mark things as read maybe - or maybe that
too is client side). _If_ you're keeping your email server side, IMAP is
a better choice.

Most people using POP3 with mutt do not have mutt do the POP3 stuff -
they collect it regularly from the server with a tool like fetchmail or
getmail or my own "pop3" tool (which has a vast user base of 1, I think)
and delivery it locally, either via something like procmail to spread
the messages to suitable local folders or directly to some kind of spool
or inbox folder for later refiling. Anyway, normally the collected
messages are deleted from the server.

Then you just run mutt against your local folders.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@cskk.id.au>