I'm afraid I don't have any clues offhand.  We *have* had problems with the
Pathscale compiler in the past that were never resolved by their support crew.
However, they were of the "variables weren't initialized and the process
generally aborts" kind of failure, not a "persistent hang" kind of failure.

Can you tell where in MPI_Init the process is hanging?  E.g., can you build
Open MPI with debugging enabled (such as by passing CFLAGS=-g to OMPI's
configure line) and then attach a debugger to a hung process and see what it's
stuck on?