On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 08:49 -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> FWIW, I have had terrible luck with the patschale compiler over the years.
> Repeated attempts to get support from them -- even when I was a paying
> customer -- resulted in no help (e.g., a pathCC bug with the OMPI C++
> bindings that I filed years ago was never resolved).
>
> Is this compiler even supported anymore?  I.e., is there a support department
> somewhere that you have a hope of getting any help from?
>
> I can't say for sure, of course, but if MPI hello world hangs, it smells like
> a compiler bug.  You might want to attach to "hello world" in a debugger and
> see where it's hung.  You might need to compile OMPI with debugging symbols
> to get any meaningful information.
>
> ** NOTE: My personal feelings about the pathscale compiler suite do not
> reflect anyone else's feelings in the Open MPI community.  Perhaps someone
> could change my mind someday, but *I* have personally given up on this
> compiler.  :-(

Pathscale is not dead, in fact I'm talking to them more or less daily at
the moment. They have been restructuring since the demise of SciCortex
last year. I hope they will be able to release a new version fairly
soon.

In my opinion (working mostly with Fortran codes, shudder) it is the
best compiler around. Although they have had problems over the years in
coming out with fixes for bugs in a timely fashion.

Internet: a...@hpc2n.umu.se   Phone: +46 90 7866134 Fax: +46 90 7866126