FWIW, I have had terrible luck with the patschale compiler over the years.
Repeated attempts to get support from them -- even when I was a paying customer
-- resulted in no help (e.g., a pathCC bug with the OMPI C++ bindings that I
filed years ago was never resolved).

Is this compiler even supported anymore?  I.e., is there a support department
somewhere that you have a hope of getting any help from?

I can't say for sure, of course, but if MPI hello world hangs, it smells like a
compiler bug.  You might want to attach to "hello world" in a debugger and see
where it's hung.  You might need to compile OMPI with debugging symbols to get
any meaningful information.

** NOTE: My personal feelings about the pathscale compiler suite do not reflect
anyone else's feelings in the Open MPI community.  Perhaps someone could change
my mind someday, but *I* have personally given up on this compiler.  :-(