Right, I get the v1schema vs v2schema issue. What I'm saying is that I've
already been able to import the image from the private docker repository
into an imagestream:

[root@os-master ~]# oc describe is
Name:                   testwebapp
Created:                24 hours ago
Labels:                 <none>
Annotations:
openshift.io/image.dockerRepositoryCheck=2016-08-11T13:02:27Z
Docker Pull Spec:       172.30.11.167:5000/testwebapp/testwebapp

Tag     Spec
Created
PullSpec
Image
latest  docker-lab.example.com:5000/testwebapp:latest *        24 hours
ago    docker-lab.example.com:5000/testwebapp@sha256:c1c8c6c3e1c672...
<same>

  * tag is scheduled for periodic import
  ! tag is insecure and can be imported over HTTP or self-signed HTTPS

[root@os-master ~]# oc describe dc/testwebapp
Name:           testwebapp
Created:        24 hours ago
Labels:         app=testwebapp
Annotations:    openshift.io/generated-by=OpenShiftNewApp
Latest Version: 3
Selector:       app=testwebapp,deploymentconfig=testwebapp
Replicas:       3
Triggers:       Config, Image(testwebapp@latest, auto=true)
Strategy:       Rolling
Template:
  Labels:       app=testwebapp,deploymentconfig=testwebapp
  Annotations:
openshift.io/container.testwebapp.image.entrypoint=["/bin/sh","-c","/usr/local/tomcat/bin/startup.sh
\u0026\u0026 tail -f /usr/local/tomcat/logs/catalina.out"],
openshift.io/generated-by=OpenShiftNewApp
  Containers:
  testwebapp:
    Image:
docker-lab.example.com:5000/testwebapp@sha256:c1c8c6c3e1c6729d1366acaf54c9772b4849f35d971e73449cf9044f3af06074
    Port:
    QoS Tier:
      cpu:      BestEffort
      memory:   BestEffort
    Environment Variables:
  No volumes.

Deployment #3 (latest):
        Name:           testwebapp-3
        Created:        18 hours ago
        Replicas:       0 current / 0 desired

No events.

All updated images have been pushed to the registry from the same docker
client. If the issue was the manifest 2 vs 1 issue wouldn't I have been
unable to deploy the app initially as well?