Le 19/09/2018 à 11:10, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
Le 19/09/2018 à 11:01, Samuel Gougeon a écrit :
Le 18/09/2018 à 19:26, philippe a écrit :
Le 17/09/2018 à 19:03, Stéphane Mottelet a écrit :
Do I have to conclude that the implementation is currently so incoherent
that *nobody* uses integer types in Scilab (other than Scilab code
itself) ?
it's a new feature,

It would not be a new feature, but a change. This means that for 30 years that Scilab and its int8 uint8 int16 uint16 int32 uint32 datatypes exist, the current algebra is used, and is used in a consistent way, even if in some aspects we may deem that this way
is too rough. At least, it is predictable, and manageable.
And so, changing the current algebra would break all codes implemented with encoded
integers for 30 years.
The aim of my first message was a try to clarify this point. Where are this codes ? In scilab itself, in user codes ? To me, user codes having been untouched since 10 years are not used any more...

I think that this position underestimates a lot users wish for stability and reproducibility. In a lab, in a design office, or even in the text book for a lesson in maths or computing, if it is not possible to get the same results when changing the Scilab version you use, then many users/authors will keep using the scilab version with which the code/book has
been implemented/written. It does not prevent installing later versions.

Even 10 years: It is the "official" lifetime of the whole Scilab 5 family. If we fairly assume that the community have grown a lot with Scilab 5, it represents likely almost all the existing codes. And the Scilab 5.5.2 will be still used for (10 ?) years. Killing the ATOMS server for 5.5.2 won't remove Scilab 5.5.2 where it is installed for existing codes, and won't provide time
to authors to update their existing ressources.

About Scilab 6.0 itself:
The "[^a-zA-Z0-9_](int8|uint8|int16|uint16|int32|uint32|int64|uint64)[^a-zA-Z0-9_]" pattern
gets 3876 hits in 293 *.sci *.sce and *.tst files.
Not counting the *.xml ones, nor the hardcoded *.c *.cpp *.java ones in which the algebra
would have to be overhauled and updated as well.

Samuel