Constructive stuff follows...

Gušlaugur Stefįn Egilsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/09/2003
12:46:19 AM:

> I'll try to explain my motivations for sending the original
> post. To begin with, there were some assumptions built in, which
> I'll try to cite here:
>
> 1) The authors have the ambition to make this project widespread,
> and to have significant impact on the Java developer community.
Part one of that, ok. Part two, I'm not so sure.

> 2) Maven adds an additional level of abstraction to project
> building (relative to Ant), covering publishing, metrics, reuse
> as well as other aspects of software projects.
>
> This would indicate that it should be a good idea to support
> generally accepted project structure so migrating from Ant is
> straightforward. I guess I was wrong.
I think your idea of generally accepted project structure may not gel with
our experience.

> I didn't believe I had the time to go through a ask-20-questions-
> to-get-this to work, so I made a best effort in one day, and that
> was all I could afford to spend on this for now. Therefore I
> sent this e-mail citing my problems and experience, with the intent
> to share my experience with those who care (not caring if that
> would be anyone). I'm sorry that managed to insult you guys,
> that was not my intent.

Next time you have to do this sort of thing under pressure, jump into
irc://irc.codehaus.org/#maven and ask your questions there. That and a few
simple things will save you a lot of time.

It didn't seem like you were sharing your experiences and problems with
those who care. It seemed like a slam fest.

I'm hoping you get the time to use Maven again, and find out that it does
really work. Best of luck,
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting