Nope. I've been running on Windows XP, JDK 1.4, 512MB ram, Pentium 4 for
about 2 years now and I've been building maven from source since then
(ant -f build-bootstrap.xml) without error! There has been only about
3-4 occurences in 2 years when I could not build when I tried... These
days, I'm building Maven HEAD about once every week or so without any
problem at all.

-Vincent