On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 18:16, Craig S. Cottingham wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2004, at 17:10, Jason van Zyl wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 16:43, Brill Pappin wrote:
> >> How do I go about requesting commit status for this project?
> >
> > It is bad etiquette to request committer status in OSS projects and
> > generally looked dimly upon. The normal course of action is you
> > contribute for a period of time and one of the existing committers will
> > nominate you for commit status.
>
> Sounds like a catch-22.

It's not a catch-22, ask John and Trygve how many  patches I rejected
and yet they still became committers.

> IIRC, Brill has been told that even if he
> produces a patch to do what he wants, it won't be applied.

Happens all time. We are not obliged to commit every patch floated our
way. I don't know what patch you're talking about specifically but lots
of patches aren't accepted. I would venture to say most of them are not.

The onus is on the submitter of a patch to convince the folks
maintaining the code in question to accept it. If the maintainers don't
like it, it's not accepted. It's pretty simple. Debate is reserved for
committers and to become a committer you have to find existing
committers you work well with. Simple case in point is Carlos who worked
with Vincent on the AspectJ plugin and now is the lead on that plugin.
Another case in point is Arnaud who contributed so much to the PDF
plugin that he now takes care of that. These are the models to follow if
you wish to be a committer.

> --
> Craig S. Cottingham
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]