 +-- m4
 +-- m5
 +-- j1
 +-- j2
 +-- j3
 +-- war1 (m1,m2,m3)
 +-- war2 (m4)
 +-- war3 (m5)

This setup is effectively what I have so far.
However I am unable to use parent on a number of modules (as some have more
than 1). On reading the doco I don't believe this actually matters.
Am I right in thinking that the root pom only need include the war modules
and everything else should be taken care of? I guess the main issue I'm
having trouble wrapping my head around is if doing a package from the top
level pom, how and when to jars get compiled/deployed and what do you need
to do to achieve this?

Thanks for all the help so far!

Adam