On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Adam Gibbons <adam.s.gibb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> for example let's say i build my pdf-creation.war file. this depends on a
> tree-like structure of sub modules and some in-house jar files. It seems
> that when I build the war the sub module tree is pulled in and the in-house
> dependencies/jars, but i think the jars are coming from the local repo.

Correct.  Maven will first look in your local repo then in remote
ones.  Unless it's looking for snapshot updates,which by default it
does once a day.

Are you using version numbers that end in -SNAPSHOT?  (You should be.)

> what
> i would like to happen is that it sees there are new compilation changes in
> the jar modules, it compiles and deploys those and then will go on to pull
> in the rest of the sub modules to build the war.

That's out of scope for Maven command line if you are *just* building
the war from its subdirectory.  As I mentioned, it's something your
IDE might handle for you.

> or have i got that wrong and it is actually doing as i though? is there an
> easy way to call the deploy plugin every time you do a package?

If you want it to deploy, use "mvn deploy" instead of (I assume) "mvn
package".  That will also put it in your local repo since install is
just before deploy in the lifecycle.

Note that you still haven't told us exactly what you're doing and what
output you're getting vs. what you expect, so we're still guessing. :)

--
Wendy