On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 14:45, Ryan Sonnek wrote:
> already have a gmail account....thanks though.
>
> 1. A - xdoc
> 4. A - notepad
> 3. I think the BEST way to produce the static xdoc documentation would be to
> transform a wiki's html.  I heard about a confluence plugin, but haven't
> seen anything more on it.

You mean taking a text/wiki format and producing xhtml?

If so then this:

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/m2-site/

Was produced from these:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven-components/maven-core/docs/apt/

The APT format as created by the folks at Pixware, the product wing of
XMLMind.

That was produced by a tool called Doxia which is a project in stealth
mode at Codehaus which is why it is not visible, but it will be in a day
or two.

Some other output using Doxia can be found here:

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/test-summary.html

Doxia is basically a small documentation toolkit. There are a set of
parsers and sinks: a parser walks a particular type of document and
emits events into a sink. So the m2 site above is using the APT parser
emitting events into an xhtml sink. Right I have a parsers for APT and
the xdoc format, and sinks for xhtml, xdoc, rtf, latex, docbook, and
framemaker (being used for the ORA maven book). So you can mix and match
any of the parsers with any of the sinks.

I am currently working with Bob to make a confluence parser so that
Confluenza, the tool which renders confluence docs into a user site,
will use this parser in conjunction with the xhtml sink.

I'm working on integrating macros into the mix as well. These would be
akin to the macro folks use in confluence/radeox except they would work
with all the parsers/sinks. So in APT you might have something like:

+-----+

%{sourceForThisExampe}

+-----+

Which is basically the snippet macro that folks are using at codehaus to
show examples in the wiki pages.

Also note that making parsers for (x)html, and docbook would be dead
simple if anyone wants to play around. The xdoc parser looks like this:

http://www.codehaus.org/~jvanzyl/XdocParser.java

Docbook, SDocbook, and xhtml are well formed so very simple to make a
parser. The complexity of the output you don't have to worry about
because the sinks are already made.

This is the stuff that is being used in m2 and will make dealing with
different doco formats dead simple. I myself have moved away from using
xdoc and moved toward using APT/Confluence. Of course all reports would
still be in xdoc format and rendering those is also simple (and super
fast) using the xdoc parser emitting into the xhtml sink.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]