The field metadata when creating plugins is read from source files, so
is not available when the original source is not. The metadata is
available in the plugin in {{META-INF/maven/plugin.xml}}, but at this
point there is no way to incorporate it when building a new plugin.

We currently recommend building your plugins using composition instead
of inheritence.

Cheers,
Brett