I personally think that we should lobby for grater use of maven2. I mean with all respect to maven you team just can't and shouldn't handle this enormous repository. I mean the hibernate guys should build their libs with m2 pom and also house the libs themselves. I mean we can't really bother your people for every little thing like hibernate annotation 3.1beta*7* or something else I mean come on, you have lives too :)
Same thing goes for spring libraries, or any other project.