On 8/4/06, Douglas Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Is anybody aware of any working examples of assembly in practice?

The docs make sense but I'd like to see an example of using it in an actual
project.

Both Struts and Shale have working assemblies, but we're not using the
latest released version.  I haven't managed to get <modules> in the
assembly descriptor to do what I want.

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shale/framework/trunk/shale-dist/
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/struts/struts2/trunk/assembly/

1)       What is the best way to kick it off? I was thinking perhaps this is
a pre-goal for package?

Separately, after you build the project.  If you're trying to make the
assembly part of a single build of all the modules + the assembly,
read this first:

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-building-assemblies-from-the-top-level-project-directory-p4735063.html

2)       How can I make the output of the assembly plugin be the actual
artifact for the module?
As far as I understand, running assembly during a build would generate the
assembly but then the package phase would then create whatever package type
was defined. i.e. you'd end up with a jar that contains your assembly.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Getting a .zip file
installed/deployed to a repository?

--
Wendy