I have a strange project here. Basically they are building custom for each
client. The build pulls custom jsp files & custom configuration into a war
file with the context name based on the the client context name.

What I want to do is move the custom stuff out of the main build and into
separate project. Then the app itself will get built using normal maven. The
client stuff can get merged in using assembly.

I would actually like to figure out how to merge the client specific stuff
into the the platform war to generate a composite war. Then I'd like to take
that war and include some of the external config files and sql files into a
zip file. I'd like this zip file to be the output for the client specific
module. This is what would get released to the Web Hosting team.

D-

> 1)       What is the best way to kick it off? I was thinking perhaps this
is
> a pre-goal for package?

Separately, after you build the project.  If you're trying to make the
assembly part of a single build of all the modules + the assembly,
read this first:

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-building-assemblies-from-the-top-level-project-d
irectory-p4735063.html

> 2)       How can I make the output of the assembly plugin be the actual
> artifact for the module?
> As far as I understand, running assembly during a build would generate the
> assembly but then the package phase would then create whatever package
type
> was defined. i.e. you'd end up with a jar that contains your assembly.

What are you trying to accomplish?  Getting a .zip file
installed/deployed to a repository?

--
Wendy