The main() function is in fftools/ffmpeg.c
I think you can set a breakpoint there for a first test. Maybe set it at
line 4869 where show_banner(argc, argv, options); is called, so you can
test what happens when jumping in.
For first try just run ./ffmpeg_g (stands for gdb and includes symbols)
without arguments or try ./ffmpeg_g --version.

Curious if that works.

-Ulf