My $.02,
I’ve been benefitting from NB since I moved over from Visual Cafe in 1999 (to
give you an idea of what a Java dinosaur I am).  And my only contributions in
2+ decades have been bug reports (most of which now lie forgotten somewhere in
the bowels of the old Bugzilla system) and 1-2 NetCAT participations.   I have
always been willing to pay for this excellent tool but never had the desire (or
time) to improve it myself.   In the early days, I once downloaded it with the
faint hope of correcting a minor bug - but didn’t even succeed in building it.
 For me at least, the time it takes to get high enough on the learning curve to
contribute meaningfully is more than I have been willing to invest (maybe
that’ll change after I retire in a few years).

But like I said, I’ve always been more than happy to pay for the tool.  I
wonder if it’s too late for NB to introduce such an alternative/additional
model?   Just a thought.

Best regards,
Tom