On 30.09.2020 15:03, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 08:17, Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at> wrote:
I really don't understand why the discussion got so out of hand.

As a user I expect that "Check for updates" informs me about new patches
*and* releases

I'm not sure it got out of hand, just discussed the current reality,
and why it differs from your current expectations.  That is not the
same as saying it doesn't need to change.

I had to lookup a phrase in a dictionary but choosing "Out of hand" was
perhaps to harsh for what I meant.

Check for updates has never covered releases, only patches.

And that is what I want, an easy way to check (manually) for a new
release. My way to go would have been to give users the choice if they
want to remain on an LTS (or any current) release or download and
install a new one. For me, that would have been a big relieve.

Christoph