Paul, I sort of agree, but I think the missing point in this NetBeans
strategy is there appears to be no built-in acknowledgement or access
to what is clearly an update. Surely "it's not an update it's a
feature" is not something most users would recognise. In between LTS
releases there usually are updates that are available, but not
automatically delivered, by having the equivalent of an "Update" button
that you can choose to press or not.

Going to the Apache website to download 12.1, it doesn't appear to
offer me a "12.1 incremental", just the new feature, no. It's the
entire package. How can this not be an update?

I see from the 12.0 page that feature releases are not as rigorously
tested as LTS releases. However, that doesn't mean they're not updates,
just that they're possibly "second class updates". I can see that may
not be to everyone's taste, so put a message. "Yes, there is an update
but you might not like it", or something a little more PC. But "There
is no update" is not true.

Mark