On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 08:17, Christoph Theis <th...@gmx.at> wrote:
> I really don't understand why the discussion got so out of hand.
>
> As a user I expect that "Check for updates" informs me about new patches
> *and* releases

I'm not sure it got out of hand, just discussed the current reality,
and why it differs from your current expectations.  That is not the
same as saying it doesn't need to change.

Check for updates has never covered releases, only patches.

There is a second notification mechanism that covers releases.  There
is no current way to trigger that in a way that reflects two different
release strands (LTS and quarterly).

We decided not to trigger the notification for feature releases on LTS
releases, but you can at least lay the blame for suggesting that, and
for not adding the notification for 12.0 when 12.1 was released, at my
door.  I'm still unsure whether it's the right approach.  There are
pros and cons to doing so, at least until we rethink how the inherited
code behaves here.

Best wishes,

Neil