Well, I can't show the real project (customer project with NDA). And I can't
just create a project of that size (35 projects, 550K lines of code).
And besides I don't have a Github account.

The problem is, that basically every problem I have with NetBeans and Gradle
only happens on bigger projects (and not with some tiny example projects.
It would be a lot more helpful if NetBeans offered some diagnostic data that
would allow investigating such a problem. It's pretty unrealistic to as every
user that has a problem to publish their projects.

I thought Gradle uses the term "module" for projects that consist of multiple
sub-projects, but apparently I was wrong.

The layout is:

   main_project
     sub-project1
        sub-sub-project1
        sub-sub-project2
     sub-project2
     sub-project3
        sub-sub-project1
        sub-sub-project2
        sub-sub-project3
        sub-sub-project4
        sub-sub-project5
        sub-sub-project6
        sub-sub-project7
        sub-sub-project8
        sub-sub-project9
        sub-sub-project10
        sub-sub-project11
        sub-sub-project12
        sub-sub-project13
        sub-sub-project14
        sub-sub-project15
     sub-project4
     sub-project5
     sub-project6
     sub-project7
        sub-sub-project1
        sub-sub-project2
        sub-sub-project3
        sub-sub-project4
        sub-sub-project5
        sub-sub-project6
        sub-sub-project7
        sub-sub-project8
        sub-sub-project8
     sub-project8
        sub-sub-project1
        sub-sub-project2
        sub-sub-project3
        sub-sub-project4
        sub-sub-project5
     sub-project9
     sub-project10
     sub-project11
     sub-project12
        sub-sub-project1
        sub-sub-project2

     sub-project13

For those sub-projects that aren't recognized I can see the following entries
in the NetBeans logfile:

    INFO [org.netbeans.modules.gradle.loaders.GradleProjectLoaderImpl]: Load
aiming EVALUATED for Unloaded Gradle Project:
GradleFiles[projectDir=C:\Projects\******\main\commons,
rootDir=C:\Projects\*******\main]

Thomas