> The first thing I would recommend you do is a clean check out of the project
> (assuming it's in a git repo or something) into a new directory.

I have done that. And deleted the NetBeans cache as well. But the problem comes
back as soon as I open a sub-project that references (already compiled) classes
from a sub-project that is not opened in NetBeans.

> However, in most cases you won't get there, because something is corrupted in
> your filesystem and once you clean it

File system corruption can be completely ruled in my opinion.

As I said: the errors go away as soon as I open the referenced sub-project and
do a reload of the referencing project.
It seems as if NetBeans only uses Java files from open projects for the
in-editor syntax check, not the classes built by Gradle (and thus available on
the classpath).