On 01.03.24 22:56, Noel Abela wrote:
Thanks again for your input.

As you can see from theĀ  attached screenshot I am getting the same error for Java 8.

what Java distribution is this you tried to add? if its the one from the link you posted it would be a JRE I believe. Oracle has a separate page for JDK downloads somewhere. You cant use JREs to build programs.

But thanks to your suggestion, I managed to install 8 anyway by downloading it from within the platform manager itself.

cool!

If I build my application with a higher JDK their java will not allow them to run my application.

almost. On later JDKs you can use -release 11 for example to build your project against a specific version which can be lower than the JDK version. JDK 8 doesn't have that yet, so you pretty much have to build on JDK 8 to be sure that you don't use API from a later version by accident - or have very good test coverage.

As for the version issue, I am not sure if I am explaining myself well. Below is the link where one can install the latest version of Java which is 8. This is what the users of my application will do before running my application.

JREs still exist from various vendors, e.g:

https://adoptium.net/temurin/releases/?package=jre&version=21

https://www.azul.com/downloads/?version=java-21-lts&package=jre#zulu

simply point your users to a different link

I will venture an answer to my own question of why java 8 is the latest jre available. Is it maybe because jlink started from JDK9? If so, then they are assuming that everyone will be using jlink which might not be the case.

Sun was interested in the desktop, Oracle not so much. I believe JRE 8 is the last offered JRE from Oracle. The way how programs are installed changed too. Today it usually works over app stores where everything is typically included in the download. Having a JRE requirement is a bit dated. Java 8 is a decade old by now.

-mbien