Hi Gil.

Maybe I have a little bit another opinion on this like the core developers
because I am a user :-)

At my current customer we uses Jboss since version 3.x so more than 8 years I
think. Current productive system is using 4.2.3 and we currently try to migrate
to JBoss 7.1 which is a big improvement.
I think Jboss is perfect for bigger scale applications because of all the
features like clustering, tons of well proven service libraries for REST, JMS,
JSF or WS in general. Also the implementation of the EJB Specs are driven by
the reference implementation Hibernate. Specially this has tons of "specials"
if the spec does not solve detailed performance issues for example.
But the main pro is the good documentation the very huge community and a big
company behind it. Redhat wants to earn money with the supported version so
they hire a lot well known experts around the world to join the implementation
team.
Once I had some special issues with the JMS Implementation 1.4.x. Via the User
forum I helped a lot to find the Bugs and also had quick IRC Chats with the
main lead Tim Fox. The next builds contained the bugfixes and so my problems
were solved.

But I also have to tell another story PRO OpenEJB.
A subproject needs to run on an embedded device. This has a very slow CPU and
only 128 MB ram.
Jboss and glassfish were no options because of the resources so I played with
openejb (3.1.4)
On this device I had already a java application running so to save the VM
overhead I added my own starter service which starts openejb in the same vm.
It was a little bit tricky to solve some classloader issues but currently I
have my administration application (with about 20 session beans, 15 entities
and some singleton services) up and running inside the embedded openejb.
In addition to that I implemented a ZK Frontend running on a Tomcat 6 which I
also start embedded on demand inside the same VM as well. This frontend then
uses JNDI to connect to the openejb container.
Works like a charm.
This device is going live in a couple of weeks. So currently everything is
stable there....

So to summarize:
Jboss is the better container for bigger productive systems because of the
power, development speed, reliability and community size.
Openejb works perfect and for small projects I still want to use it.

And of course.... This is only my opinion
Sorry Romain :-) You all do great jobs but without 1.000.000 $ Development
Budget it's hard to win the race....

Markus Lutum
JEE developer since decades :-)