Brian Barker wrote:
At 14:31 13/09/2008 -0400, David Trimboli wrote:
I want to create a character style that changes all-capital abbreviations to small capitals and apply it retroactively, after the abbreviations have already been typed in all capitals. Is there any way to do this?

Example:
   Harriet, an FBI agent, turned on CNN to get the dirt
   on the CIA before going to bed at 9:30 PM.

I want to be able to take text like the example above, select FBI, CNN, CIA, and PM, apply a character style, and see them as small capitals. Is this possible? Without retyping or replacing the abbreviations?

I think you can do this fairly easily as long as you *don't* have the initialisms in capitals to start with. If you do, it may be convenient to convert them using Find & Replace. Replace "PM" with "pm" and so on.

So, in short, no, it's not possible. :)

o With the new style name selected in the list, press the Fill Format Mode button. The cursor changes to a paint can.
o  Go through your text, clicking once with the paint can on each initialism.
o Press the Fill Format Mode button again (or just press Esc) to cancel this mode.

Hmm! I didn't know about this mode. Thanks for the tip.

--
David
Stardate 8703.5