Barbara Duprey wrote:
David Trimboli wrote:
Brian Barker wrote:
At 14:31 13/09/2008 -0400, David Trimboli wrote:
I want to create a character style that changes all-capital abbreviations to small capitals and apply it retroactively, after the abbreviations have already been typed in all capitals. Is there any way to do this?

Example:
   Harriet, an FBI agent, turned on CNN to get the dirt
   on the CIA before going to bed at 9:30 PM.

I want to be able to take text like the example above, select FBI, CNN, CIA, and PM, apply a character style, and see them as small capitals. Is this possible? Without retyping or replacing the abbreviations?
I think you can do this fairly easily as long as you *don't* have the initialisms in capitals to start with. If you do, it may be convenient to convert them using Find & Replace. Replace "PM" with "pm" and so on.
So, in short, no, it's not possible. :)

o With the new style name selected in the list, press the Fill Format Mode button. The cursor changes to a paint can. o Go through your text, clicking once with the paint can on each initialism. o Press the Fill Format Mode button again (or just press Esc) to cancel this mode.
Hmm! I didn't know about this mode. Thanks for the tip.

If you just want the caps to be smaller in those cases, couldn't you just set up your special character style to use a smaller point size than your normal text?

Yeccch! That's not small caps! Every dead typographer is rolling over in his or her grave right about now. :)

--
David
Stardate 8703.7