On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:14:36 -0400
Richard Detwiler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> Maybe you need to educate us non-typographers by what you mean by small
> caps then ... or explain what you're trying to achieve, what appearance
> you want, etc.

Those who prefer good typography know that in the days of real
typesetting with hot lead the publisher had a separate drawer with the
small cap characters. These were crafted to have the same stroke width
as the lowercase letters so they would appear natural in a line of
type.

In today's world we have a multitude of fonts. Each one is fine in its
own right. But when OOo reduces the capital letters to the x-height of
the lowercase letters the stroke will be too thin. It looks bad.
Furthermore, OOo reduces the regular cap by a percentage, and this
percentage may not be correct for all fonts.

The solution is to use a professional font that contains separate small
cap characters, characters which have been individually drawn to have
the correct stroke width as the lowercase characters. Very few such
fonts exist, although most of the Pro fonts from Adobe have them, as
well as the better fonts from other foundries. There are also open
source fonts that have been lovingly crafted to have true small cap
characters.

Wandering further afield -

With the advent of OpenType font technology it became possible to
include true small cap characters in the same font as the regular
characters (as alternative glyphs), and for software to offer the user
the ability to select the alternate glyphs as a style option. So far
the only software that does this is Adobe InDesign, although the
developers of Scribus have it on their roadmap. In InDesign when you
apply small caps it automatically uses the true small caps alternate
glyphs if they are available in the font, instead of reducing the size
of the regular cap.